Virtual Insanity

Recommendation: Over 18.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Rehab

They say the first step to overcoming an addiction is admitting you have one.

See, doesn't that make so much sense? I mean, if I had an addiction, I think that would be the first step to take for sure - but I don't.

Ok, I might freak out if for some reason my internet is cut off, if my modem stops working or my pc gives me trouble. I might get snappy and start to wonder what to do with myself, how I would cope with an internet-less life, how I can bare to live without news at the touch of a button, a discussion only a click away and massive e-encyclopedia that can answer any kind of question, that crops up into your head, in a matter of seconds or a chat with someone thousands of miles away.

But just because I turn my pc on before I've washed my face in the morning, doesn't mean I'm addicted! Or because I have breakfast and lunch at my pc desk.. or because I placed our cold water dispenser right next to my desk!! These things are normal, right?

And that's a real question, cos I don't remember life before the Internet. Did people have to actually BUY the newspaper? Did they have to wait till the weatherman appeared on t.v. for the weather update? Did they really have to go through tens of books to search for the answer to why the moon seems larger at the horizon? Did they actually buy envelopes and stamps and wait days before correspondence was received?

I wonder how many people stay up all night using the internet? I mean, the internet is useful and all, but losing sleep to stay online.. now that's really an addiction! Some people really need to get a life! Tsk!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

i'm sorry i let it get so bad... should have never have thought of getting you ADSL for your birthday :(
Oh yeah! and to find out how much you are dipendent on internet: Say theres a downtime and you can't connect, have you ever looked out into the street form your window/balcony to see if your neighbours have the same problem? (like when electricity is cut off)

8:55 am  
Blogger Sabine said...

Oooooh I hear ya.... LOL!

I actually remember the first couple of years in Gozo when we didn't even have a telephone! However, I have no memory of what I did all day back then...

9:32 am  
Blogger lioness said...

kevin.. rofl ... I've been addicted long before two xmas's ago. Don't you remember me in your bedroom on the internet all night while you and steve slept cos that was the only time the pc wasn't being used? hahaha oh the memories!

Sabine, I really don't know what people without internet do.. how boring and hard their life must be. It's like a portal to the whole world for me. I can look anything up and get answers. I can just hook up to a chat room or forum and speak to a complete stranger. I feel lucky to have been around at the birth of such a magnificent invention. :D

11:40 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

ohyeah it was xmass not your bday.. sorry :)
hey, even Bin laden used it round the times of 9/11 and afganistan attacks.. must have a video blog on Al Jazira's site or something..

12:15 pm  
Blogger Mackenzie said...

I stay online all night...gotta wait til my sister's off at midnight (or 1...or 2) then I get on til sunrise. I'm not home for it during daytime..

3:40 am  
Blogger Meticulousness said...

People shouldn't leave their lives over the internet the way it is nowadays.

There have to always be some side interests along the internet. Being addicted isn't focused on the internet itself but on what you’re actually doing here. Take blogging for example, you don't have to be so addicted that you'll get ya self here checking for replies every two minutes lol

People should be aware that keeping an eye on this screen isn’t worth it as much as they think. typically we fall for temptations, and this how it all work!

4:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here to get this from FreeFlashToys.com!